Sunday, July 5, 2009

Happy 4th of July


Curtis - I spent my 4th at Cumberland Gap National Park in Middlesboro, KY. Since joining the Army Reserves in 1998 I have not had duty of some sort for two of them. It always seems, to celebrate America's freedom many places need military personnel. It seems every job has had some memorable moments, from trying to get the soldiers in Basic Training to go to sleep and stop watching the fireworks (I was a drill sergeant at the time and that was my night to stay up all night to make sure no soldier ran away, hurt themselves/ someone else, and make sure all was well in all areas) to the hotel I had the "pleasure" of staying at Friday. It was better than staying out in the field, but not what we were used to. Most of us just hung out in the parking lot sharing stories and talking. It actually ended up being an enjoyable evening with comrades. I must also say I love when I head east into the mountains, while this area has plenty of problems, the beauty of the mountains is one of God's greatest blessings on Earth. If you can't stop and appreciate the beauty of the mountains, are you human?

However, this was my first night away from Noah, and I missed him. Of course, I always miss Jennifer when I have to go away. This is evident in the fact that I refuse a "free" (to me) hotel room to come back in the evenings to stay with Jen (and also Noah now). If i am a complete dork to those in my unit, but a hero at home I feel I have done my job as a husband.

While many people thank me for my service, etc... (never have figured out what to say to this) I have to thank Jennifer. She is willing to know I am going to go away for two weeks every year, and knows I always go away more than that! She knows I will be gone one weekend of every month, at a minimum. All the while knowing if I am needed somewhere as a tank commander, drill sergeant, or Army bandsman I can be pulled with little notice. I chose this for myself in 1998, she has had to deal with it since she met me! To know this situation and simply accept it has been difficult at times, but I GREATLY appreciate the support and love she shows me all the time.

May you enjoy your family on today's journey and stop to think of those families who are apart on the 4th.

2 comments:

  1. A huge THANK YOU to both of you for what you all do to serve and protect our country! (Yes, that includes Jennifer, for the minimum of the reasons you mentioned above, but for so much more!) We love y'all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMW wasn't that hotel grrreat!!!!! Hope you had fun riding with Chris.....I personally dread that first nite away but it's coming sooner than i hoped so i totally feel ur pain. See you the 9th!

    ReplyDelete